Thursday, June 17, 2010

Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

I have hair thats on the thick side. Its a curley/wavy combination (if that makes sense). ...sometimes some of my hair dries and i have a few "pipe curls" here and there, but they're generally pretty lose curls/waves ....



I have my hair cut now in layers, which I recently read is no good for curley hair (it adds to the puffyness)



I'm just looking to find out how I can keep my hair looking healthy. Being curley/wavy it often has a frizzy/dry look. The problem is that it is NOT dry at all. Actually, I take a shower in the morning and wash my hair (every day) and by the time i go to bed at night it feels a bit oily. .. so I do not like to add a lot of product to my hair becuase it often leaves my hair looking oily/dirty.



I do not use heat to dry my hair. Every day I let it air dry (Even if that means going to work with a damp head) Occasionally (once every other month) i use a straight iron and straighten it. But thats basically the only heat I use (and its a rare occasion)



Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

Definitely, grow your hair and cut it to one length (shorter around your face like you said). Here's a few tips:



1. To combat frizz, don't wash your hair too often because it will become dry. 2 or 3 times a week max - washing your hair everyday makes your scalp dry and irritated; in order to "fight back", your scalp will over-produce sebum to combat the dryness. This is why you end up with hair that feels oily by night even though you washed it in the morning (Hint: cut down 1 wash a week until you get to 1 every other day). Comb the hair before washing to get rid of knots. Be gentle while scrubbing to avoid tangles.



2. Shampoo: Don't go against nature! If your hair is curly, use a shampoo for curly hair. Don't use one to make it "sleek and straight". Do use a conditioner for your type of hair too. For curly/wavy hair, try Redken's Fresh Curls. It's really good.



3. Leave-in treatment: A couple products that are fantastic. They tame my wild frizzy mane like you wouldn't believe! FHI Heat Hot Sauce and CHI Silk Infusion. Use very little as these products are very rich and thick. Apply on damp hair.



4. Drying: don't comb your hair if it doesn't need to be, especially for curly hair. This will allow the natural curls to reform and avoid frizz. Since you don't heat style, tie up your hair when it's 80% dry, until it is completely dry. Finish off with a little bit of wax on the length while tousling your curls (little sections) to define them. Hope this works for you!



Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

hey! i have the same problems! well when you are getting ready to step out get either biosilk silk therapy and put just a TINY amount in your palms and put it in your hair and avoid the roots and scalp (to prevent it from looking oily) or you can try catwalk camera ready (same as biosilk but in a spray form) its easier to put it and doesnt make it lookk so oily...and try to get it thinned out to reduce puffyness..C:



Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

i have naturally curly hair, and i have found that not washing it every day helps. you said your hair feels oily, but looks dry, so maybe it's just that you think it's oily but it's not. either way if you like washing it every day you should try the sunsilk line. the pink bottles are pretty good for curly hair, and they have shampoo, conditioner, and some sort of leave in stuff that comes in a smaller bottle. it does not make your hair look or feel oily if you put it in your hair after you wash it, right before you brush it. i use it and let my hair air dry and it works really well. they had a green bottle that was even better, but they discontinued it for some reason.



Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

I have the same type of hair as you do (some corkscrew curls, mostly waves and loose curls), and the same habits (wash every day, no blow drying). The only exception is that I have fine hair, and adding any products to it makes it look oily. I found that a spray leave-in conditioner (I use Infusium) helps to keep it from looking dry without weighing it down or making it oily.



Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

You just described my hair, although I do get some frizziness. I use Aussie smoothing conditioner, it works really good and then if I want the curly look I use a curl booster or if I want it straighter and smoother then I use BioSilk Silk Strate or TRESemme straightening gel, both work pretty well but the gel is definitely heavier.



Properly caring for wavy/curley hair?

i have naturally curly hair to, and one no no is to not ever get layers in ur hair and don't blow dry it or ur hair will just be frizzier and dryer, and u shouldn't wash ur hair everyday because (well at least that's what my hairdresser said) for my hair though i use suave or pantene but depending on how different ur hair is from mine u might need a different kind ( :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Electric Scooter